Monday, January 29, 2007

For a thousand summers...

I consider Futurama to be one of the best animated series ever created. Not only is it funny, but it's intelligent as well. It's a uniquely tasty departure from two other cartoon series I hold in high regard -- The Simpsons and South Park -- both of which are injected with a significant amount of sarcasm and satire. What Futurama lacks in those two departments, it makes up for one quality that is not a hallmark of American animation: its propensity to make viewers cry.

Yes, cry.

Or, if your black heart is that stone-cold, sad.

Here's one clip that never fails to make me stuffy-nosed. This comes from the episode Jurassic Bark, which is possibly the most poignant in the series. (I'd describe the context of the clip myself, but Wikipedia probably does it much better than I could.) I still remember watching this episode for the very first time on Studio 23 back in 2003, and how my left eye let loose a tear as Connie Francis was singing the last few strains of the song. I Will Wait For You is just so... apt.

No comments: